The Royal Swedish Academy of Letters, History and Antiquities (Kungl. Vitterhets Historie och Antikvitets Akademien) was founded in 1753 by Queen Louisa Ulrica. The Academy was originally dedicated to literature but was reconstituted in 1786 with new objectives, mainly dedicated to historical and antiquarian preservation. The Academy’s responsibilities now encompass the humanities in a broad sense, and its purpose is to promote research and other activities in the humanities, religious studies, jurisprudence and social science disciplines and cultural heritage. This is done primarily through financial support and academic publishing.
The Academy of Letters is located in the Rettig House in Stockholm.